Mountain Legislators’ Meet was held in NEC, Shillong, Meghalaya bringing together legislators from different mountain states to deliberate on and examine key policy measures and highlight issues from the vantage point of the mountain states.
The conference, convened by Hon’ble Member of Parliament from Tura, Ms Agatha Sangma, chaired by Hon’ble MP of Shillong, Shri Vincent Pala, and co-chaired by Shri P.D. Rai, Former MP of Sikkim (LS), was attended by MPs, MLAs and representatives of Autonomous District Councils from Meghalaya, Uttarakhand, Ladakh, Sikkim, Manipur, Nagaland, Mizoram, Tripura and members of IMI, MIMDI, Swiss Development Corporation, SELCO Foundation and ICIMOD.
- Sensitization of general public, bureaucracy and politicians on the issues of climate change and the ways in which legislators can use policy instruments for adaptation.
- Need for integrated effort to address key issues of the region.
- Role of youth and entrepreneurs.
- Importance of alternative sustainable livelihoods to traditional practices like Jhum Cultivation.
- Importance of adding environmental education in the school and college curriculums.
- Importance of data and micro-data in guiding policy and the lack of data in IHR.